I have been a lucky girl, and have had the opportunity to play with, and review a few of Gary Fong’s flash accessories.
The basic principle of the Cloud Lightsphere, is that the light from the flash is channelled upwards to be bounced off a ceiling or wall, and the cloudy plastic bowl diffuses the remaining light. This produces lovely soft light, but it also reduces the distance from which you can shoot. To counteract this problem, Gary Fong released the Chrome Dome, which fits snugly into the Lightsphere.
The Chrome Dome serves three purposes:
• The hole helps to channel and concentrate the light towards the ceiling
• The reflective chrome-plated kicker panel helps to direct the light forward
• The reflective inverted bowl blasts more light into the Lightsphere, thus amplifying the light source.
The Chrome Dome dramatically increases the light output of your flash, giving you up to double the power and efficiency, while still producing beautiful soft diffused light.
The Chrome Dome is useful when:
• You need more forward light projection
• You need more efficiency from your flash
• Shooting large group photos
• Shooting from a distance
Sounds fantastic, what is the catch? Well, that would be the price :-/ At R665 it’s a pretty penny, but if you want to spoil yourself with this accessory, you won’t be disappointed with the results!
Distributed in South Africa by Tandem Focus Distributors. For more information contact Tristan Hall on 084 465 0195